The World Championship in American Football 2015 will not be held in Stockholm, Sweden. The International American Football Federation will within the next two weeks announce whether the tournament will be played elsewhere in 2015 or be postponed.
– It is with great sadness we have to accept the fact that the Local Organizing Committee despite hard work the last three years have not succeeded in raising the sponsor structure to run an event this size, says acting President of IFAF, Roope Noronen, and continues;
– Stockholm would have been a great city to run the WC2015. It had the best possible arenas, great hotels and was supported by the local communities. It is unfortunately a matter of fact that the international economical climate is not at its best and IFAF have to save the tournament by moving it to another host country.
American Football has grown in Sweden the last few years and now have 38 teams in four different leagues and even more teams in the junior programs.
– It would have been a great step in our growth hosting the WC2015 in Stockholm, says acting President in the Swedish American Football Federation Minette Rogner and continues;
– We have during the past few month become aware of that the company in charge of organizing the tournament have had difficulties in reporting the progress of the preparations and this ended with IFAF taking this decision which we fully support.
The fact that Sweden will not host the tournament means that The Swedish National Team will not be qualified to play in the WC2015.
– We have to focus on the next European Championship instead, says Minette Rogner.